Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The Chainsmokers & Kelsea Ballerini (2) - Week Of December 22, 2018

Hello and Merry Christmas, fam! Guess what? I'll be doing not one, but TWO rankdowns. That's right! I'm going to be hosting the rankdown of Hits 1's Year-End for 2018! Here is the link to submit your rankings. Submissions will be due next month. I've just posted My Top 50 Songs of 2018. Feel free to check it out if you haven't already. Welcome to the Christmas weekend edition of the Hits 1 Weekend Countdown! Before we get to this week's fresh 45, here are the songs we're saying goodbye to this week:

  • Imagine Dragons – Whatever It Takes (#31) [Spent 1 Week At #1]
  • Shawn Mendes – Lost In Japan (#33)
  • Lady Gaga featuring Bradley Cooper – Shallow (#37)
  • Taylor Swift – Delicate (#43) [Spent 3 Weeks At #1]
  • Calvin Harris featuring Sam Smith – Promises (#45)

The Countdown:
Last Week's #1 Song: The Chainsmokers featuring Kelsea Ballerini – This Feeling
45. Shawn Mendes – In My Blood (#44) [–1] [Spent 2 Weeks At #1]
44. NOTD featuring Bea Miller – I Wanna Know (#38) [–6]
43. George Ezra – Shotgun (#41) [–2]
42. Bazzi featuring Camila Cabello – Beautiful (Remix) (#42) [=]
41. TWENTY ØNE PILØTS – My Blood (#21) [–20]
40. Zedd featuring Maren Morris and Grey – The Middle (#40) [=] [Spent 9 Weeks At #1]
39. Steve Aoki featuring BTS – Waste It On Me (DEBUT)
38. Charlie Puth – The Way I Am (#39) [+1]
37. Mark Ronson featuring Miley Cyrus – Nothing Breaks Like A Heart (DEBUT)
36. Panic! At The Disco – Say Amen (Saturday Night) (#34) [–2] [Spent 4 Weeks At #1]
35. Silk City featuring Dua Lipa – Electricity (#36) [+1]
34. James Arthur – Empty Space (DEBUT)
33. The Chainsmokers featuring Emily Warren – Side Effects (#26) [–7]
32. Lauv featuring Julia Michaels – There's No Way (#25) [–7]
31. David Guetta featuring Anne-Marie – Don't Leave Me Alone (#24) [–7]
30. Backstreet Boys – Don't Go Breaking My Heart (#27) [–3]
29. Selena Gomez – Back To You (#28) [–1]
28. TWENTY ØNE PILØTS – Chlorine (DEBUT)
27. Ellie Goulding featuring Diplo – Close To Me (DEBUT)
26. Shawn Mendes – Nervous (#19) [–7]
25. Little Mix featuring Nicki Minaj – Woman Like Me (#22) [–3]
24. Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B – Girls Like You (#29) [+5]
23. Lauren Jauregui – Expectations (#32) [+9]
22. Olly Murs featuring Snoop Dogg – Moves (#35) [+13]
21. Bebe Rexha – I'm A Mess (#12) [–9]
20. Imagine Dragons – Natural (#6) [–14] [Spent 1 Week At #1]
19. Ariana Grande – Breathin' (#7) [–12]
18. lovelytheband – Broken (#15) [–3]
17. Camila Cabello – Consequences (#20) [+3]
16. The Struts featuring Kesha – Body Talks (#17) [+1]
15. Ava Max – Sweet But Psycho (#30) [+15]
14. Alec Benjamin – Let Me Down Slowly (#23) [+9]
13. Benny Blanco featuring Halsey and Khalid – Eastside (#18) [+5]
12. Dan + Shay – Tequila (#13) [+1]
11. Post Malone featuring Swae Lee – Sunflower (#14) [+3]
10. Ariana Grande – Thank U, Next (#16) [+6]
9. Panic! At The Disco – Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#11) [+2]
8. Anne-Marie – 2002 (#9) [+1]
7. Fall Out Boy – The Last Of The Real Ones (#8) [+1] [Spent 2 Weeks At #1]
6. Khalid featuring Normani – Love Lies (#10) [+4]
5. 5 Seconds Of Summer – Youngblood (#3) [–2] [Spent 5 Weeks At #1]
4. Halsey – Without Me (#5) [+1]
3. Marshmello featuring Bastille – Happier (#4) [+1] [Spent 2 Weeks At #1]
2. Panic! At The Disco – High Hopes (#2) [=] [Spent 8 Weeks At #1]
1. The Chainsmokers featuring Kelsea Ballerini – This Feeling (#1) [=] [2nd Week At #1]

#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Ed Sheeran and Beyoncé – Perfect (1st of 2 Weeks At #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: TWENTY ØNE PILØTS – My Blood (–20)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Ava Max – Sweet But Psycho (+15)

New Entrants:
- We kick off this week's debuts with Steve Aoki, who is collaborating with BTS in Waste It On Me. I'm not all that crazy about BTS in general. But here, I find this to be decent. I'm going to go ahead and admit that this is not the best we've heard from Steve Aoki. He's had better songs in the past. But his work here is not bad from a production standpoint. I do kinda like the vocals we get from BTS. Overall, this is alright. It's not something that'll stick with me in the long run, but it's a nice listen.

Miley Cyrus made her long-awaited comeback in 2017 when she released Malibu, which was essentially a return to her country roots. This week, she makes her return yet again. And would you believe that she's collaborating with Mark Ronson of all people? The same guy who was behind the masterpiece that is of Uptown Funk, which is easily my favorite song of the decade? They give us Nothing Breaks Like A Heart. I'm going to be straight up and simply say that this is just divine on all levels. Miley's vocals sound good throughout the song. The production is just phenomenal. Mark Ronson worked his magic in that aspect and he did very well. The lyrics are well-written as well. Of course, nothing can top Uptown Funk. But it is still an awesome song overall.

- James Arthur made himself well-known when Say You Won't Let Go came around, which I believe was in late 2016. It was hated among YouTube critics, in part because it was basically slow dance song with nothing going for it. I'll going to go on a record and say that I think a little differently. I don't loathe it as much as some people. I thought it was a nice song, even though it didn't stick with me. This week, he brings us Empty Space. And to be honest...I'm not feeling this one. My problem with his latest single is that James doesn't sound good with his voice. It sounds like he's trying too hard to hit those high notes. One redeeming quality I can say about Empty Space is the lyrical content. Basically, what he's telling us is that he misses his special someone and he feels all alone. I get all of that and I'm sure many people have their moments. But the execution in terms of the production and vocals is done poorly. Even some of his recent singles preceding it, which have been on the YouTube 15 before, weren't anything special either. But at least in those songs, he has a nice voice. Here, he just doesn't sound good. Yeah, this is not my cup of tea. Let's move on.

- As we get the big drop from My Blood (and I'll talk about that later on), we get another single from TWENTY ØNE PILØTS's latest album Trench making it to the Hits 1 Weekend Countdown, in the form of Chlorine. Having listened to most of their album so far, it seems like they were going for something different and the results are decent. There's no denying that I love Jumpsuit. I talked about the song when I did My Top 50 Songs of 2018 and I explained why I immediately fell in love with it. Nico And The Niners and My Blood were both pretty good as well and it reminded me of some of their music from Blurryface. I had very mixed feelings on Legend. It just wasn't something I wanted to hear from them. Now let's get into Chlorine, which I'm not a big fan of either. I'm not exactly sure what the song is about, especially when looking at the lyrics. Maybe it's just me and I probably don't understand much of it. As for the rest of the song itself, I find that Tyler Joseph doesn't shine with his voice. To me, it feels like he sounds bored and he doesn't have the same type of energy he has in his other songs from Trench. I would like to point out that the song is over five minutes long. I was expecting something more exciting. But it drags on and frankly, it doesn't really have anything going for it. I can safely say that after listening to song in its entirety, this is probably one of their weakest singles I've heard from these guys. It's slightly closer to red, and it's too bad because I'm a big fan of TWENTY ØNE PILØTS. Oh well.

- Finally, we get the long-awaited return of Ellie Goulding! So, it is very rare in this day and age that we have artists who truly continue to impress me with their music. Growing up, I listened artists such as Celiné Dion, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey. In their prime, they've consistently make good music year after year. This decade, you have Ellie Goulding who fits into the category of artists who never disappoints. Songs such as Lights, Burn, Anything Could Happen, and Love Me Like You Do are huge favorites of mine. She had plenty of others that I really like, but I'm not going to mention at this moment. I'll be talking about her latest single titled Close To Me. I would like to mention that it features Diplo and Swae Lee, the latter whose verse has been cut out on Hits 1 of course. But regardless, everything about the song is spot on. Ellie has a great voice and as always, she uses it well. I do like the lyrical content. It shows that Ellie is a good songwriter. The production is solid across the board. Diplo did a nice job in that aspect as opposed to what he did with LSD in their music, which wasn't very good. Close To Me is definitely an amazing song in my book. Thank you Ellie, for winning me over with your new single!

Best Debut Of The Week: Ellie Goulding featuring Diplo – Close To Me

It's The Most Wonderful Blurbs Of The Year
- So, we say goodbye to five songs this week, four of which will mostly be missed by me. Promises was not meant to last long. Sam Smith hasn't had too much to offer since his minor hit Too Good At Goodbyes. Both Lost In Japan and Shallow were awesome and it's sad to see them leave us so soon. They deserved better. Finally, we have both Whatever It Takes and Delicate making their departure. These two songs have had quite a run and both hit #1. I'm thankful for their success on the countdown. They will both be missed by me.

- Before introducing There's No Way, Spyder Harrison mentioned that Julia Michaels is excited to share her next journey with her fans. I wonder if her next journey has something to do with new music? If it is, I'm sure not very many people are looking forward to whatever she brings us.

- Before introducing Nervous, Spyder Harrison mentioned that Shawn Mendes is going to take a break from social media. Looks like he wants to keep a low profile for a while. He may end up surprising us with something special. We'll see.

- I'm not too surprised to see Natural take a quick fall out of the Top 10. Seeing as that song has lost its momentum a while ago, I have a slight feeling it won't be too much longer with us. I'm still thankful that it had success.

- So one day, when I was looking up Ava Max, I noticed that she bears a striking resemblance to Lady Gaga. Heh, I guess Ava decided she wanted to have hair like her.

- Remember when I said that the release Thank U, Next didn't kill its momentum for Breathin'? Well, it appears I spoke too soon, because Thank U Next has entered the Top 10, while Breathin' drops out. I do kinda like Thank U, Next, so I don't mind seeing it in that region. But I would much prefer if they switched places because I personally think Breathin' is better.

- It seems to me that Love Lies just won't give up. At this current pace, it may end up on the Hits 1 Year-End list for next year as well. But I highly doubt it since it lost its momentum elsewhere.

- On that note, it appears that Youngblood, Happier, and especially High Hopes aren't going away anytime soon. It's looking very likely that two of them (or maybe all three) will end up on the Hits 1's Year-End Countdown for 2019.

Hit-Bound:

  • Lauren Daigle – You Say
  • Charli XCX featuring Troye Sivan – 1999
  • Dan + Shay – Speechless
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer – Killer Queen
  • Alessia Cara – Trust My Lonely
  • Seeb featuring Bastille – Grip
  • Imagine Dragons – Machine
  • Pitbull featuring Rhea – Ocean To Ocean (DEBUT)
  • Avril Lavigne – Tell Me It's Over (DEBUT)
  • Benny Blanco featuring Calvin Harris – I Found You (DEBUT)
  • Dean Lewis – Be Alright
  • Khalid – Better
  • Stephen Puth – Sexual Vibe (DEBUT)
  • Zara Larsson – Ruin My Life
  • lovelytheband – Maybe, I'm Afraid (DEBUT)

Entrant Reviews:
- To start things off, we get a single from the Aquaman movie soundtrack. Pitbull collaborates with Rhea in Ocean To Ocean, which uses a sample from Africa. Now, I wasn't a big fan of the cover from Weezer. But I actually kinda like this. I'll have more on this later on should it debut.

- Immediately after that, we get the long-awaited return of Avril Lavigne! She did made her comeback early on with Head Above Water, which unfortunately didn't make it to Hits 1. But this week, she gives us Tell Me It's Over. I do like everything about the song in general. Avril hasn't lost a step with her vocals.  She sounds good and the lyrics are nice. I'll save most of my words for when it debuts, which I hope soon.

- Next on the list is a song that's been trending on the YouTube 15 for a while now (And it still is. We'll get to that in a moment). Benny Blanco is collaborating with Calvin Harris in I Found You. While I do kinda like the production, I'm not too big on Calvin's voice. He sounds a little underwhelming. It's not necessarily bad, though.

- Did you all know that Charlie Puth has a brother named Stephen Puth? No? Well, we're going to know more about him as he makes his very first appearance with Sexual Vibe. I love the production overall. But I don't really like his voice, hence why it's in blue for now. This is based on my initial reaction, so my opinion could change.

- Finally, we have more lovelytheband with their latest single titled Maybe, I'm Afraid. I can say that the production is okay, and the vocals are pretty decent but they're not that special. I basically had the same opinion on Broken when it was brand new. I can envision this song growing on me. We'll see.

- After more listens, I can now consider You Say to be my favorite song on Hit-Bound at this moment. Even though she is an Adele wannabe, I found everything about the song to be just spot on. I'm sure it'll end up making its debut at some point.

Best Debut On Hit-Bound: Avril Lavigne – Tell Me It's Over

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
TIE: 1. Avril Lavigne – Tell Me It's Over
TIE: 1. Lauren Daigle – You Say
3. Dan + Shay – Speechless
4. Zara Larsson – Ruin My Life
5. Pitbull featuring Rhea – Ocean To Ocean

YouTube 15:

  • Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B – Girls Like You
  • Alan Walker featuring AuRa and Tomine Hacket – Darkside
  • Against The Current – The Fuss
  • Juice WRLD – Lucid Dreams
  • Billie Eilish – Come Out And Play
  • Benny Blanco featuring Halsey and Khalid – Eastside
  • The Chainsmokers featuring Winona Oak – Hope
  • Ariana Grande – Thank U, Next
  • Clean Bandit featuring Marina And The Diamond and Luis Fonsi – Baby
  • Marshmello featuring Bastille – Happier
  • PRETTYMUCH – Jello
  • Panic! At The Disco – High Hopes
  • Benny Blanco featuring Calvin Harris – I Found You
  • Halsey – Without Me
  • ZAYN – There You Are

Song Reviews:
- To begin the Christmas Weekend edition of the YouTube 15, we have more of Against The Current with their latest single, The Fuss. This one sounds different from what they've released, but I do like what they have here. I do like the vocals for the most part. They've had better, but this is still good.

- Here, we get yet another track from The Chainsmokers. This time, they collaborate with newcomer Winona Oak in their new single, Hope. The drop is a little weird for my liking, and I'm not necessarily big on Winona's or Drew's voices. Yeah, it's nowhere near their best work. But it's a better than the other singles from Sick Boy, so I'll give them that.

- Next, we have PRETTYMUCH with another new single of theirs, Jello. There's nothing special about this. I'm not getting it. First off, I'm not big on the chorus. They don't really shine in any part of the song. The lyrics and production are too generic, and I don't like the part just before the bridge where it has garbled vocals. These guys have not been impressing me since they first came around with Would You Mind. I want something along the lines of that song, not this.

- Finally, we have ZAYN with yet another new single, this time with There You Are. He hasn't really had much to offer since Let Me. But I actually do kinda like this one. The production is great and ZAYN shows what he is capable of when I hear his voice. It's unfortunate that this'll get underrated, because it's a good song overall.

- Darkside has been on the YouTube 15 for a seemingly long time now. I believe it was around mid-summer when it first started trending on the show. I still enjoy the song. It would be really nice if it actually made it to Hit-Bound, but I don't see it happening. It's a shame because Alan Walker is underrated. Oh well.

My Top 5 YouTube 15 Picks
1. Alan Walker featuring AuRa and Tomine Hacket – Darkside
2. Clean Bandit featuring Marina And The Diamond and Luis Fonsi – Baby
3. Benny Blanco featuring Halsey and Khalid – Eastside
4. Billie Eilish – Come Out And Play
5. Against The Current – The Fuss

Top 20 Review:
0 – Putrid:
None!

1 – Bad:
20. Halsey – Without Me

2 – Mediocre:
19. Alec Benjamin – Let Me Down Slowly
18. Marshmello featuring Bastille – Happier

3 – Decent:
17. Anne-Marie – 2002
16. Post Malone featuring Swae Lee – Sunflower
15. lovelytheband – Broken

4 – Good:
14. Ariana Grande – Thank U, Next

5 – Great:
13. Camila Cabello – Consequences
12. Khalid featuring Normani – Love Lies
11. 5 Seconds Of Summer – Youngblood
10. Panic! At The Disco – High Hopes
9. Fall Out Boy – The Last Of The Real Ones
8. Ava Max – Sweet But Psycho
7. Benny Blanco featuring Halsey and Khalid – Eastside
6. Panic! At The Disco – Hey Look Ma, I Made It
5. Imagine Dragons – Natural
4. The Struts featuring Kesha – Body Talks
3. Ariana Grande – Breathin'
2. Dan + Shay – Tequila

BONUS: 6 – Best Song On The Countdown:
TIE: 1. The Chainsmokers featuring Kelsea Ballerini – This Feeling

Overall Grade: 84/100 = 84% (B)

Throwback Picks Of The Week: Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas Is You (1994) and Martina McBride – Silver Bells (1998)

Most Missed Countdown Song: One Direction – Night Changes

Most Missed Hit-Bound Dropout: Captain Cuts – Love Like We Used To

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Hailee Steinfeld – Back To Life

Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: Tie between Macklemore featuring Kesha – Good Old Days (#23) and Kesha – Praying (#11)

My Top 5 Picks
TIE: 1. The Chainsmokers featuring Kelsea Ballerini – This Feeling
TIE: 1. Ellie Goulding featuring Diplo – Close To Me
3. Dan + Shay – Tequila
4. Mark Ronson featuring Miley Cyrus – Nothing Breaks Like A Heart
5. Ariana Grande – Breathin'

My Bottom 5 Picks

1. Bebe Rexha – I'm A Mess
2. Lauv featuring Julia Michaels – There's No Way
3. James Arthur – Empty Space
4. NOTD featuring Bea Miller – I Wanna Know
5. Halsey – Without Me

Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:
Walk The Moon – One Foot: This is just as energetic as Shut Up And Dance. It puts me in a good mood and it's a fun listen. I talked about when I placed it on My Top 50 Songs of 2018. You can check it out if you haven't already.
Liam Payne – Bedroom Floor: It's a step up from Strip That Down in many ways. The production here is better and I kinda like Liam's voice in a way. I do kinda wished that one had success.
Louis Tomlinson – Miss You: Although I can't say it's as good as Back To You, it does have some nice rock elements. Louis's voice fits him very well here.
Eminem featuring Ed Sheeran – River: I never envisioned Eminem collaborating with Ed Sheeran, but I thought it turned out okay. Though he's had better, it does have something going for it.

2 comments:

  1. I just submitted for your rankdown.
    Great: 1-21
    Good: 22-30
    Decent: 31-36
    Mediocre: 37-40
    Bad: 41-43
    Crap: 44-45

    ReplyDelete
  2. Submitted for your rankdown. I am Music-Junkie.

    ReplyDelete