Saturday, July 15, 2017

Zedd & Alessia Cara (4) - Week Of July 15, 2017

I've been pretty busy this week.  I went to an interview for another job and did some other important things.  I don't have much to say in terms of the introduction because I want to get this post out as soon as possible.  I have a very busy weekend ahead of me, so I'll just leave it like it is just for your guys to read and comment.  As far as this week's countdown goes, It was kinda a mixed bag.  While some good things have happened, there are also some stuff that isn't to my liking, but at least we're getting some activity.  We're not quite out of the summer lull just yet.  We can only hope that things really start to gain some steam within the next few weeks.  Before we get to the countdown, here are the songs we're saying good-bye to this week:

  • Zayn featuring Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#37)
  • Jason Derulo featuring Ty Dolla $ign and Nicki Minaj - Swalla (#40)

The Countdown:
Last Week's #1 Song: Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
45. Machine Gun Kelly featuring Camila Cabello - Bad Things (#45)
44. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know (#42) [3 Weeks At #1]
43. Steve Aoki featuring Louis Tomlinson - Just Hold On (#43)
42. Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd - Starving (#39) [4 Weeks At #1]
41. Aaron Carter - Sooner Or Later (#38)
40. Niall Horan - This Town (#41)
39. Jon Bellion - Overwhelming (#36)
38. Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times (#35)
37. Fitz & The Tantrums - HandClap (#44)
36. Childish Gambino - Redbone (DEBUT)
35. Maroon 5 - Cold (#34)
34. Bruno Mars - Versace On The Floor (DEBUT)
33. Shawn Mendes - Mercy (#31)
32. The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey - Closer (#32) [8 Weeks At #1]
31. Train - Play That Song (#29)
30. DJ Khaled featuring Justin Bieber and Chance The Rapper - I'm The One (#34)
29. Erin Bowman - Good Time Good Life (#30)
28. MAX featuring Gnash - Lights Down Low (#26)
27. Camila Cabello - Crying In The Club (#24)
26. Noah Cyrus - Stay Together (#28)
25. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#27) [1 Week At #1]
24. Julia Michaels - Issues (#16)
23. Linkin Park featuring Kiiara - Heavy (#19)
22. AJR - Weak (#22)
21. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (#9)
20. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (#21)
19. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar (#20)
18. Calvin Harris featuring Pharrell and Katy Perry - Feels (#17)
17. Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls (#22)
16. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#10) [1 Week At #1]
15. Miley Cyrus - Malibu (#25)
14. Halsey - Now Or Never (#12)
13. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (#11) [9 Weeks At #1]
12. Luis Fonsi featuring Justin Bieber and Daddy Yankee - Despacito (#15)
11. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road (#7)
10. Charlie Puth - Attention (#13)
9. Panic! At The Disco - L.A. Devotee (#14)
8. Niall Horan - Slow Hands (#18)
7. Lady Gaga - The Cure (#8)
6. Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (#5) [3 Weeks At #1]
5. Kygo featuring Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#6)
4. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#3)
3. The Chainsmokers featuring Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#2) [3 Weeks At #1]
2. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#1) [2 Weeks At #1]
1. Zedd featuring Alessia Cara - Stay (#4) [4th Week At #1]

#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling (5th of 10 Weeks At #1)

Biggest DRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (-12)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Tie between Miley Cyrus - Malibu and Niall Horan - Slow Hands (+10)

New Entrants
We have two entrants this week.  First let's start with my least favorite debut of the week, with a song that is currently popular at this moment which is Redbone from Childish Gambino.  If I'm being honest, there's not really anything to like about this song and personally, I feel there are better songs on Hit-Bound that should've debuted instead.  Now, about this song, I'm not really a fan of the vocals and I feel this song seems to drag on forever from the first listen.  Don't get me wrong. I like slow songs, including our next entrant which I'll get to in a bit.  But unfortunately this isn't really one of them.  Next!

- Second, we have my favorite debut of the week.  Here, we have more Bruno Mars with his new single Versace On The Floor.  Although I prefer his other singles from his 24K Magic album, I still like this one because Bruno Mars does it perfectly.  This song pretty much reminds me of a Michael Jackson song that I won't mention.  Every single he has released since Uptown Funk he comes very close to sounding like Michael Jackson, in terms of his vocals and production.  The song itself is basically about him dating a girl and they want to take their relationship a step further.  Here's to hoping it becomes a hit like his predecessors.

Oooh, Blurb It Off For Me, For Me, For Me, For Me Now Girl
We'll start with the exits, as always.  I Don't Wanna Live Forever I was ready to move on from.  Swalla, on the other hand, took the undeserved exit.  It's too bad Jason Derulo can't get a hit like his previous singles before it.  While I know there's a least one person who I won't name be happy about its departure, I'm not one of them.

- Well, it doesn't look like Sign Of The Times is going to end up being big on Hits 1 unfortunately.  Most of the songs from One Direction, whether it be from the band itself or one of its members, have made it to the Top 5 at some point.  But this will likely be the exception, which is unfortunate because I find Sign Of The Times to be a much better song from a solo act.  Oh well, maybe another day.

- Before introducing I'm The One, Spyder Harrison mentioned that Justin Bieber is rumored to be looking for an Australian girl, but that he's getting help from his pastor.  Hopefully, he succeeds at finding the right one.

- On a positive note, congrats to both Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars for reaching 2.5 billion views on YouTube with his single Uptown Funk!

- With Issues dropping out of the Top 20, I have a feeling it won't be much longer with us.  In fact, it's losing steam pretty much everywhere else recently.

- On that note, Say You Won't Let Go dropped out as well.  While I know there are some people who will be happy about this, I'm not necessarily one of them, even though it's fading on me just a bit.

- When I heard Strip That Down play as Ear Poppin' Music! sometime this week, the voice-over mentioned Quavo's name, despite the fact that Hits 1 edited his verse out of the song.

- It Ain't Me has finally made it back into the Top 5 after spending seemingly forever in the #6-#8 range.  Now the question is, will it crack the Top 3?  No one knows yet, but I would like it to someday.

- And that brings us to our #1 song this week, with Stay taking that spot for the fourth time overall.  Now, I don't quite enjoy this song as much as I used to, but I don't mind it spending another week at #1.  

Hit-Bound

Paramore - Hard Times
Macklemore featuring Skylar Grey - Glorious
Julia Michaels - Uh Huh
The Chainsmokers - Honest
All Time Low - Good Times
Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling
Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (DEBUT)
Andy Grammer - Give Love
Fall Out Boy - Champion
DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts (DEBUT)
Kesha - Praying (DEBUT)
Imagine Dragons - Thunder
Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
Shawn Hook featuring Vanessa Hudgens - Reminding Me

- Our first debut on Hit-Bound comes from returning artist Demi Lovato, in the form of Sorry Not Sorry.  It sounds like she's going in a more EDM route in terms of her new album.  While it's no Cool For The Summer or Confident, I kinda like it, for now.  I'll have more words for this should it debut.

- Second, we have another DJ Khaled collaboration, this time with Rihanna and Bryson Tiller in their new single Wild Thoughts.  I personally think this is better than I'm The One which was released two months ago.  The production here is pretty good overall.  With this song being popular everywhere else, I expect it to make the countdown soon.

- Finally, after a few years, we have the return of Kesha with her powerful new single titled Praying.  She had spent some time in hiatus in the wake of her lawsuit against Dr. Luke.  Today, she has released two singles from her upcoming album, including this one which I'll talk briefly about.  While it's a slow ballad, she still delivers on her vocals and the production is good.  I'll talk more about this if it debuts, but this is a nice comeback single for Kesha.

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
TIE: 1. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling
TIE: 1. Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
3. Kesha - Praying
4. DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts
5. Paramore - Hard Times


Top 20 Review
0 - Awful:
20. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road
19. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar

1 - Bad:
None!

2 - Mediocre:
18. Liam Payne - Strip That Down

3 - Decent:
17. Miley Cyrus - Malibu
16. Halsey - Now Or Never

4 - Good:
15. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You
14. Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls
13. Panic! At The Disco - L.A. Devotee

5 - Great:
12. Charlie Puth - Attention
11. Zedd featuring Alessia Cara - Stay
10. Niall Horan - Slow Hands
9. The Chainsmokers - Paris
8. Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill
7. Imagine Dragons - Believer
6. Kygo featuring Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me
5. Lady Gaga - The Cure
4. Calvin Harris featuring Pharrell and Katy Perry - Feels
3. Luis Fonsi featuring Justin Bieber and Daddy Yankee - Despacito
2. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back

BONUS: 6 - Best Song Of The Countdown:
1. The Chainsmokers - Something Just Like This

Overall Grade: 81/100 (B-)


Throwback Pick Of The Week: Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle (1999)

Most Missed Countdown Song: Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Olly Murs featuring Louisa Johnson - Unpredictable

Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza

My Top 5 Picks
1. The Chainsmokers - Something Just Like This
2. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
3. Luis Fonsi featuring Justin Bieber and Daddy Yankee - Despacito
4. Calvin Harris featuring Pharrell and Katy Perry - Feels
5. Lady Gaga - The Cure

My Bottom 5 Picks
1. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road
2. Train - Play That Song
3. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know
4. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar
5. Maroon 5 - Cold

Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:
Drake featuring Wizkid and Kyla - One Dance: Arguably the biggest song of last summer.  I kinda stopped caring for this song, in part because of me hearing it too much.  However, I definitely liked Drake's direction of going more R&B rather than Hip-Hop or Rap.
Lukas Graham - Mama Said: I actually do like this to some degree.  Personally, I think if it weren't for the annoying kids in the background, this probably would have been more in the blue/green range for me.
The 1975 - The Sound: I initially found this song to be only decent.  But with time, I've grown to actually enjoy it.  Looking back at it, I wish this was a big hit elsewhere.
Symon - Say: I was never a fan of this song, mainly because the lyrics to this song are so repetitve.  And no, adding the rap breakdown doesn't help at all.  In fact, it just makes the song even worse.  Good thing she's hosting Hits 1 In Hollywood.

5 comments:

  1. I heard Versace On The Floor played with David Guetta's remix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I'll talk more about it next week.

      Delete
  2. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Enrique Iglesias/Sean Paul - Súbeme La Radio

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like both the throwback pick and the most missed. And The Sound as well.

    And nice to see someone other than . or Graham who doesn't outright hate Mama Said, haha. Your thoughts on it are essentially the same as mine.

    ReplyDelete